The Central Auditory System
Günter Ehret, Raymond Romand (eds), 1997

Chapter 1. Functional Organization of the Auditory Pathways
Eric M. Rouiller

Primary Auditory Neurons (Auditory Nerve)
There are two populations of nerve fibers in the auditory nerve, called "Type I" and "Type II". Most of the detail here applies to Type I cells, which account for 90% to 95% of the auditory nerve fibers. Relatively little is known of the remaining 5% to 10% of Type II fibers.

Each of ____ inner hair cells makes contact with the dendrite of 10 to 20 Type I auditory nerves.

Cochlear Nucleus

Superior Olivary Complex (SOC)

Lateral Lemniscus (LL)

Inferior Colliculus (IC)

Thalamus and Cerebral Cortex

Parallel and Hierarchical Organization

Descending Auditory Pathways and Feedback Control

Brainstem Auditory Evoked Potentials

Conclusion

Chapter 2. Anatomical and Functional Aspects of the Cochlear Nucleus
Raymond Romand and Paul Avan

Anatomy of the Cochlear Nucleus

Neuropharmacological Aspects of the Cochlear Nucleus

The Functional Activity of the Cochlear Nucleus

Conclusion

Chapter 3. Superior Ovilary Complex and Nucleii of the Lateral Lemniscus
Robert H. Helfert and Andreas Aschoff

Superior Olivary Complex (SOC) on General

Medial Nucleus of the Trapezoid Body

Lateral Superior Olive

Medial Superior Olive

Periolivary Nucleii (PON)

Olivocochlear (OC) Neurons

Nucleii of the Lateral Lemniscus

Conclusion

Chapter 4. The Auditory Midbrain, a "Shunting-Yard" of Acoustical Information Processing
Günter Ehret

The Structure Behind Mechanisms

The Message of Single Neurons

Formation of Maps

Organization and Possible Function of Maps in the ICC

Contributions to Hearing

Conclusion

Chapter 5. Acoustical Information Processing in the Auditory Thalamus and Cerebral Cortex
François de Ribaupierre

Auditory Thalamus

Auditory Cortex

Corticothalamic Connections

Intracortical and Interhemispheric Connections

Conclusion


Top of Page | CAS Opinion | Sort by Topic | Sort by Title | Sort by Author